What Happens During a Physical Exam?
How often do you visit the doctor? Most adults only visit the doctor when they’re sick or otherwise in pain. Though we understand many men and women do not regularly receive annual checkups, we encourage you to remember how important it is for adults to receive regular physical examinations. Depending on your age, medical history, and current lifestyle, your physician will perform a varying regiment of exams that check for a range of symptoms. For instance, if you’re an active adult who participates regularly in sports or exercise, you may need a sports physical. Although some adults will not need to undergo a sports physical, all men and women should take the time to get a physical exam. A routine physical exam at Duke City Primary Care may include:
- Blood pressure, heart rate, temperature, and respiratory function.
- Lung, heart, head, and neck exams.
- Abdominal, neurological, dermatological, and extremities exams.
- Men’s physicals may also involve testicular, hernia, penis, and prostate exams.
- Women’s physicals may also involve breast and pelvic exams.
- If needed, lab work is completed including complete blood count, urinalysis, and chemistry panels.